Alternator Mounting Stud keeps breaking at E-manifold

Home Page Forums The 1965-66 Full Size Chevy Forum Alternator Mounting Stud keeps breaking at E-manifold

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  administrator 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

administrator
    Keymaster

I am working on my 1965 Impala SS w/327 and I am having a problem with the Pivot Bolt that the Alternator rests on that screws into the front of the LH E-Manifold. I got a grade 8 bolt, but just tonight it busted that one off after only be used for several start-ups. After breaking the first one off even with the surface edge of the E-manifold I went to the grade 8 bolt, and put a lug nut on in between the face of the manifold and the back of the alternator, as a spacer so that the alternator was on right up against the front of the manifold. Fortunately it broke off rather than flush like it did the first time, but out past the front of the lug nut/spacer. This left me exposed threads I was able to use a vise grip and remove the remainder of the stud. Everything appears to be lined up properly on the pulleys. I am trying to put this car back to the way it came from the factory, so this is where it was mounted in 1965. What can I do to remedy this problem?

TIA
    Chris Demsky
    Bogart, GA
    Member # 2679

#313 Reply

administrator
    Keymaster

Can you take some pics of the mounting area please, I do have an assembly manual PDF listed in the referebce section if that will help you to see the factory mounting.

Paul

fsc66@yahoo.com
    Expert reproduction documents for 1960-1970 Chevrolet:
    Window Stickers, Car Shippers, Retail Order Forms, Dealer Invoices,etc.
    Please visit our website:
    http://www.winvoices.com
    Thank you,

Paul

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Alternator Mounting Stud keeps breaking at E-manifold
Your information: